Strength in 5 Minutes

Whenever someone is trying to sell you on an idea, they squirm their way into your day by suggesting, "You have 5 minutes in your day for this, can't you just take 5 minutes?"

But as we all know, 5 minutes adds up. 5 minutes on the phone with Aunt Sharon results in 5 less minutes that you have to eat your lunch. 5 minutes spent at Target takes away at least 25 minutes of your grocery shopping time (am I right?). Spending time doing one thing is always going to be taking time from something else. That's just how it works.

This means that our time should be spent doing only what we actually need and want to do.

We're not in control, we're not able to change our circumstances, and we definitely can't always stick to a schedule. But what we can do is work with our time in ways that benefit us long-term. Something as simple as chunking like tasks together can revolutionize your day.

This month I am challenging you to do one thing for your body every day for 5 minutes. 

Be picky about this thing that you choose. This isn't for your mom, your neighbor, or your kids; this is for you. 5 minutes of deep breaths on the front porch. 5 minutes of barefeet in the grass. 5 minutes of stretching, squats, yoga, whatever.

Maybe this 5 minutes could be a door opening up to something that will take more time, but for now, reign it it. It doesn't feel like much, but you have to prove that it's important to you before you can give it more time. Start small so that you know you can stick with it.

Either steal this 5-minute chunk of time when you can, or plan it for the same time every day. By doing this every day, you give yourself permission to use that time without having stressing to make it happen. It will eventually become a natural part of your day, taken for granted like brushing your teeth.

For me, this 5 minutes is going to be spent doing the Handstand Challenge. For about a year now, it has been stuck in my head that I want to be able to do a freestanding handstand. I want it. I want that strength, that balance, and that bold fearlessness of standing upside-down on the earth. I was blown away by the progress I saw doing the crow pose every day; now I'm ready for a bigger challenge.

You can do this, too. I promise. My goal may seem impossible to you right now, but the steps to get there are utterly simplified. I am taking baby steps that literally anyone can do. Are you ready for how shockingly simple this is going to be?

Get in a plank pose/pushup position on the floor, with your feet touching a wall. Hands in line with shoulders, body in a straight line, balls of feet pressed into the floor. If this is tough for you and you can feel your muscles straining to hold this position, then start here. Do this every day until you feel confident in moving on to the next step.

Once you are able to hold your plank pose, it's time to making things tougher. Walk one or both feet up the wall behind you. Only go up a few inches. Keep your body in a straight line; you don't want to bend at the waist or bow your back. Use your core muscles to hold your form.
That's it. Plank pose. Wall. Core muscles engaged. Once a day, every day. 5 minutes.

Over the span of days or weeks, work your way up to holding it for a few minutes, then when you're ready, walk your feet higher up the wall. Eventually your hands will be about twelve inches away from the wall, and then you get to move on to actually doing the handstand - without the wall. I'll be posting about that second part of this challenge in either June or July, depending on how quickly I progress.

In my weekly newsletter, I am giving more specific tips and encouragement to help you train your body in this pose. You can use these tips (starting small, practicing 5 minutes a day, etc.) to hone any yoga pose you have in mind. Pick something out of your comfort zone!

11 comments:

  1. I love the new design! And you go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of doing one thing for your body for 5 minutes everyday. It's very doable when you start small. I think I'll take you up on your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! It's so doable and the consistency really feels good, even in something so small.

      Delete
  3. Love the new design! Also, I'm all about taking a few minutes to myself each day doing something just for me. It's so important that in the midst of doing all the things we need to do, we just take a minute or two or five to stop and think about ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! I bought the design from https://envye.com/shop/ and I really love it.

      Delete
  5. I'd love to be able to take an hour every day to work out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's something you really want, it IS possible! You just have to figure out your schedule. I could definitely help you find room for a work out in your day/week if you want :)

      Delete
  6. Whoa, you are strong girl! And this is totally what I needed to hear today, I actually did do something for my body today and went for a run, which I have been really lax on lately. I've got to keep it up though, thanks for the words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That's awesome! It really makes a difference in my attitude. I hope your run made you feel good enough to make it a priority more often :)

      Delete