The Capsule Wardrobe, Phase 1: Project 333

Somehow it's (almost) Easter and spring and I missed all of winter because I'm in Texas now and holy cow is this year going by fast! Last week I gave y'all a few tips on minimalism and how it can benefit your life. Today I'd like to share with you one big way I'm letting it affect my life as part of my April monthly venture. 

Project 333 is a minimalist challenge that encourages you to revamp your wardrobe and take your fashion style to the next level. The challenge is to take your current wardrobe and scale it down to a manageable amount of items. Things that you will actually wear, and wear well. The goal is to have a compact closet filled only with items that you love and that work well together.

It does not mean that you have to wear the same shirt every day. It does not mean that your wardrobe has to consist of one or two colors. It does not mean you have to wear boring things. And it does not mean that you have to give away everything that isn't part of your chosen 33 items.

What it does mean is that you open yourself up to a little extra space and free time. There's also the added bonus of less dirty laundry floating around. And because you have only a few things to take care of, it is easy to hang up, fold, and generally keep things tidy. Are you ready to be bold, simplified, and freed from excess?


Don't allow this project to be another stress point where you feel pitted against your own home, in full attack mode against the clutter. If clutter (or food or TV or emotions or stress) are taking over your life, pray over them. We have a secret power in Christ to be freed from all chains. Especially the ones we put on ourselves.

So step forward happily into this idea of only 33 items taking up minimal space in your closet. 33 items for 3 months. That's it. These items will include:
  • Accessories (hats, jewelry, etc.)
  • Shoes
  • Outerwear
  • And all normal clothing

There are a few exceptions to the 33 items that become your capsule:
  • Iconic piece of jewelry that you always wear, such as your wedding ring
  • Underwear
  • Socks
  • Lingerie
  • Pajamas
  • Workout clothes/lounge wear (you can only wear these items for your workouts or when specifically relaxing)
  • Purse (I made this exception for myself since all I use these days is a diaper bag backpack and my wallet, BUT if you're a bag person, limit yourself to using only one or two and add it to your 33 items count!)

As a stay-at-home mom, I wear workout clothes and lounge wear about 89% of the time. So it would have been easy to allow myself twelve+ outfits dubbed "exceptions" and completely miss the point of whittling down my wardrobe. (Yes, I like to be sneaky like that.) But I restrained myself separated only two pairs of pants, a pair of shorts, and two workout tanks for this category, and made sure they were in a drawer set apart from my other things. 

Take time to go through all of your items and weed out the ones that don't fit right, don't bring you joy, or are too worn out and need to be discarded. You can definitely get rid of things as you go! However, don't stress yourself out thinking you have to donate a bunch of things right away. You may not be sure what things you wear often, and you may discover that you really need that heavy coat for certain weather. Don't purge if it's making you stressed. Just box it up.

You excess clothes and accessories are going to get boxed up and "hidden" in the back of your closet or somewhere else in the house where you can forget about them. I'll check back in with you in a month and give you the next step.

I am incredibly excited about the whole capsule wardrobe thing - or at least half of me is. The other half always wants to buy more clothes. Which means that in order for this project to succeed, I have to a why to keep going. 

And you need a why, too. Why do you want less clothes in your closet? What do you hope it will do for you life, your daily schedule?

My three specific whys:
I want less stress in my life (aka piles of dirty laundry).
I want to spend less time worrying about what I wear.
I want to have a more organized, simplified life, which I am coming to believe is a result of having less stuff.


MY CLOSET TRANSFORMATION

> > >

The Before Photos


> > >

The After Photos


Here are some tips for going through your wardrobe:


Make it fun. Put on some music and set aside a chunk of time to do this. You don't want to be rushed or stressed during the process.

Pick your favorites first. If you start off by making a huge pile of stuff you "have" to get rid of, you'll likely end up frustrated. Start by choosing some favorite items that you can't imagine parting with, and go from there.

Have an iconic piece or two. One or two bold, unique pieces can give your entire wardrobe something exciting to revolve around. I chose my husband's letterman jacket, a Vans snapback hat, and one feather earring/cuff (pictured right). Things I love, feel good wearing, and can complete a lot of outfits. 

For an full step-by-step guide for the Project 333 process, head here.

Project 333 can cause you to stress over numbers and rules unnecessarily. Instead of jumping into the crazy, pause to pray over your decluttering journey. As you walk forward to conquer your home, you need to do so with a strength and peace you cannot have on your own. Take a few minutes with me and pray over this. I want this to be fun, enlightening, and freeing for you, woman!

Don't forget to use the hashtag #project333 and tag me (@grownup_adventure_girl) so we can find each other and share this wardrobe adventure!


> > >

Let me know if there's a monthly venture you'd like to be a part of in the future! I am trying to do at least one specific challenge every month, and I'd love your feedback, ideas, and participation! Shoot me an email or find me on instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment