She Is Beautiful

Those of you who follow me on instagram might have noticed me using the new hashtag #sheisbeautiful and I wanted to let you know that I am not simply referring to me or my baby girl (though I'm pretty enamored by her cuteness). I'm talking about all of us - women all over the world. Women with short hair and long, fair skin and dark, women who sketch or run marathons or work at law firms. We women? We're freakin' gorgeous.

Maybe you've misplaced this knowledge somewhere, or perhaps someone made you feel that it wasn't true. Whatever the case, I'm here to let you know that YOU are beautiful. And that's not me talking - I tend to think the people I love are more beautiful than the ones I've never met. But God? He's a master craftsman, and He put you together in just the right way.

The problem is, if you can't see, it tends to make it really hard for others to see it as well. And that's not only a shame, but a waste. We have many roles to play in life, but one of the most important ones is bringing beauty to the world. (If you want to know more about this incredible purpose, check out the book Captivating.)

Let me ask you a question:
We are constantly asking the question, "Am I beautiful?" But we're not always certain, so we try on a different dress, play with our hair a little longer, go on another diet just to be sure.

Instead of reveling in the fact that God made us very specifically, we tend to downplay our looks, focus on our imperfections, and compare ourselves. Or we go the other way, and act like our looks don't matter at all, going all day with unkempt hair, wearing baggy clothing, hiding our faces from cameras.

Then we try to pin our struggle with our appearance on the men. "I wouldn't have to spend so much time getting ready if it wasn't for him," we tell ourselves. But how would you feel if you didn't wear makeup or do your hair for a month? Or if you didn't shower for over a week?

Now, I've done those things, but it was because I was on backpacking trips and being a camp counselor with other rad people who didn't care about their appearance - went out of their way, in fact, to look ridiculous! It was freeing, to not look in a mirror. To forget what I looked like and define myself instead by what I was doing. Yet when I got the chance to shower and wear a frivolous outfit, I was positively giddy. Should I feel guilty about that?

I've forgotten that God made me - us - as women to be beautiful and it's okay if we notice! Especially as moms and wives, we tend to put schedules, cleaning, cooking, etc. far before the way we look when our man walks through the door.

I am speaking to two types of women today:

#1 Women who are on top of it. You are determined to have your makeup, hair, and possibly even your outfit all settled just so before you can handle your day - and certainly before anyone can see you. Here is my word to you:
You are beautiful; make sure your "beauty regimen" isn't covering up the beauty that's already there. Let your hair do it's own thing once in a while. Be willing for someone to drop by your house, even if you look less than put together. Your makeup does not define nor create your beauty.

#2 Women who are "low-maintenance." You are not too concerned with looks or fashion. You like looking nice, but you have more important things to worry about in the morning. You don't plan on seeing anyone today anyway, so why try hard? Here is my word to you:
You are beautiful; it's okay to revel in it a little. How much better would you feel if you took a minute to highlight your beauty, to feel pretty? Maybe in the morning so you feel more confident in facing the day, or in the evening right before your man comes home. It isn't vain to acknowledge that God made you to be beautiful!
I want you to be able to step into each day already knowing your worth in Christ. Knowing that He says you're beautiful, and letting that be enough. I don't want to push anyone into vanity. But I'm a little sick of seeing women let their own opinions of themselves make them miserable.

You know what? The women and men around you aren't busy judging you for your looks. They're often too busy criticizing themselves to notice that you forgot a belt today, or that your hair isn't as perfect as yesterday.

So who's fault is it if you're feeling gross and ugly and out of sorts? Yours.

I'll leave you with a verse that puts inward and outward beauty in their places.

"Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any terror." 1 Peter 3:3-6 (emphasis added)

Did you hear that? You have the capability to have an incorruptible, eternal beauty. The crazy thing is, if you believe that and live in it, you will be beautiful on the outside, too. This is a call to be bold and unafraid. Let nothing stop us beautiful women who live in the power of God!

12 comments:

  1. Good words Caitlin! So many girls and women judge themselves so harshly. Them compare. Us women should live in such a way (secure in the beautiful beings that God has made) that the younger girls look to us and find their confidence in how beautiful they truly are in Christ. May I myself daily believe that I am beautiful so my daughters also will know they are beautiful.
    To answer the question...how I would live differently if I believed I was beautiful? I would probably love my husband deeper. Being a breast Cancer survivor effected me in truly believing that I was beautiful even though my husband stood and still believes I am beautiful. The ugly C word stole my breast, my memory, my figure, my hair, and more...but it didn't steal my beauty because beauty truly comes from the inside out!
    I am going to practice telling myself daily in the mirror that I am beautiful until it sink in all the way in! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's so much harder when it feels like your beauty has been under attack. But God gets to define who we are, and it's such a relief to live in that. You're right, I think I would love my husband deeper, too, just because I don't have to question how I look/feel around him; I can be secure in knowing my worth according to God. You are so beautiful and you should remind yourself of that daily! :)

      Delete
  2. I wish I felt more beautiful. I sometimes try to take photos for my blog and I feel like why bother? I'm nowhere near as pretty as any beauty bloggers out there! Then again, I'm the one judging myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard, especially because everything online is about competition - who looks the best and has the most to offer. But we get to have the final word on our own beauty. My challenge to you is to make one other woman feel beautiful today :)

      Delete
  3. It's so easy to be so hard on yourself... eternal beauty says it all though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! It's spoken very true! It's sometimes hard when you compare yourself to others to see your true beauty! We are the only person to blame for our insecurities! Things to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I keep seeing the whole "comparison is the thief of joy" everywhere, and it's really all our fault if we're upset with the way we look. I don't want my baby girl seeing me think I'm not beautiful, and questioning her own beauty as a result.

      Delete
  5. I love this post! As the saying goes, we are our harshest critics. Thanks for the reminder that we are all beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're able to believe it more truly every day, no matter how your body changes :)

      Delete
  6. I love this post so much, it's so true! We are worth so much more than our appearance even though it's hard to remember sometimes! But we are made in His image and He is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't create ugly things! If we doubt our beauty, we doubt Him and His decisions in making us.

      Delete