Carefree Motherhood

"I'm a mom. I worry."

We've all heard this statement; some of us have even said it (...more than once). It's kind of a given. You're a mom, so you worry about every aspect of your kids' lives. And your husband's. And yours. But why? Why should the words "worry" and "mom" be synonymous?
Fear has been a part of my life for years. As a girl, I was afraid of the dark. Very typical. I was also quite afraid of bugs, especially spiders. And I remember being afraid at times of something bad happening to my parents. As I grew up, my fears became more "rational" - I was afraid of things that I understood could actually happen.

I think fear is one of Satan's greatest weapons against us. It has the power to paralyze us, turning any part of life into something so big that we feel like we can't handle it. Can't trust God to take care of it.

If we want our kids to be bold, brave, beautiful little souls that change the world, that attitude has to start with us. When I am afraid of something  (especially something silly, like a large bug in the house or driving in bad weather), I immediately think, "I don't want my daughter to be afraid of this." But no matter what I tell her, she is going to sense my own fear. It's natural.

So how do I combat it? How do I choose a better life for her?

By being unafraid.

I'm done taking for granted what the "acceptable" version of a mom is. And I want to challenge your version, too.

I'm proposing a new mantra. Not worried women and moms - but peaceful women. A mantra that gives life, rather than letting fear sap it away. A picture of "carefree" motherhood.

Not Careless Moms, by any means. Nor shirking responsibility for fun's sake. But allowing things to happen, being excited for uncharted territory, reveling in the unknowns.

We don't have to live in fear of the dark. We simply have to remember to bring a light with us.

When we let go of our fears, we are free. And we automatically free our children the moment we free ourselves. God wants to free us of all of it so that we can follow Him on crazy adventures.

"Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel - rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any terror." 1 Peter 3:3-6

Live with abandon as you take care of your families and yourself. Let go of the idea that you have to plan and prepare for every scenario that you can imagine. Release the idea that you can safeguard anyone from bad things. 

Our job is simple: trust God and pray. 
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:6-6

"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:8-9

"Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment