The Perfect Man?

While reading a fun little book called Graduates in Wonderland, I was caught up in the comic lists these two girls wrote on "everything you want in someone," basically describing their perfect man as much as they could imagine. The items were increasingly hilarious and specific, and also rather outlandish in combination. (You can read my review of this book HERE.)

I remember writing such a list when I was in high school (aaaand probably before that, too). Or at least I started half a dozen of them. If I went through my old journals, I could probably dig up some embarrassing lists for you. But as the majority of these journals happen to be shut up inside a wooden chest in my childhood home in Ohio, roughly 1,290 miles away, I can spare you the awkwardness of my teen self.

However, it got me thinking: does my husband have most of these qualities? Would he be a disappointment to 15-year-old me (not that that would be saying much), or would he be everything I've always wanted?

So I decided to make a list of everything that my husband is to me - things that should have been on my wishlist all along, or things that surprised me in being important. It made me incredibly happy to realize what God gave me in this fantastic man. I am thankful for everything he is in my life. I love you, Josh.

I challenge you to make one for you husband/significant other, just to remind yourself of every good part about them that makes your life better, and fuller.

We're cute.


25 Truths About My Husband

  1. Not easily angered (this one is in 1 Corinthians 13, AND it is made even more valuable considering the fact that I do get easily upset *clears throat in shame*)
  2. Really good at sex. I promise he did not make me write that.
  3. Encourages me in my writing and actually reads it (even though he abhors reading)
  4. Isn't bothered by my snoring!
  5. Eats everything I make, including leftovers
  6. Somehow manages to be goofier than me
  7. Challenges me physically (working out, rock climbing, etc.)
  8. Has broad tastes in music
  9. Rescues me from awkward social situations by talking a lot
  10. Tells me he loves my body (even though this is obviously bullcrap because I'm 8 months pregnant and the equivalent of a seal)
  11. Beautiful eyes and gorgeous eyelashes
  12. One of his love languages is physical touch, which calms and reassures me in a million ways
  13. Athletic
  14. Honest
  15. Handy with tools, garbage disposals, toilets, and the like
  16. Not shorter or younger than me (something my younger self was always concerned about)
  17. Loves awkwardness. Which is good, because I am a very awkward person and I don't know what to do about it. 
  18. A man of God 
  19. Lives by action. Anytime I let myself become stagnant, either in thought or deed, he pushes me to move forward again.
  20. Loves to laugh
  21. Takes care of me, in the most basic and also deepest ways
  22. Values communication
  23. Fearless (in comparison to me)
  24. Wants to be a daddy
  25. Is bearded and manly
He is all these things, and more that I probably forgot.

In short, God knows what we want...but gives us what we need. Sometimes those two are in sync. He gave me more than I imagined. It doesn't make marriage easy; in fact, marriage is still like a very confusing board game to me. The great thing is that there is no such thing as winning or losing in marriage as long as we choose, from the beginning, to be committed to each other. Anything that happens is simply a part of the learning curve - and it brings us closer together.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen."

Eph. 3:20-21



No comments:

Post a Comment