My Ultimate Third Trimester List

Let me begin by saying that you should not necessarily take my advice - this is my first time on the pregnancy/baby journey, and obviously I'm not a pro. However, I have spent most of this pregnancy in a constant flood of information from books, pinterest, other women with kids, classes, and blogs. I love to research. (At the bottom of this post I list the resources I found to be the most helpful.)

I keep asking moms what they wish they would have done differently in the third trimester. Two things prevailed: more sleep, and a babymoon. I confess that both of these wishes confuse me because a), sleep is almost impossible in the third trimester, and b), so much money is going towards the baby that it makes it hard to feel good about spending any money pampering myself with extras. How did you handle the third trimester?

My favorite part of Phoebe's pregnancy. haha. Courtesy of Friends.

My Ultimate Third Trimester List

(Or, you know, stuff to do in the second trimester when you have energy and half a brain.)
Items in bold have yet to be completed.

  • Stock the freezer with meals for postpartum
  • Wash and organize baby clothes according to size
  • Install infant car seat
  • Put together crib (and marvel at how much space you've now lost in your bedroom)
  • Stockpile essential items (wipes, diapers, toothpaste, shampoo, toilet paper, kleenex, trash bags, laundry detergent...)
  • Prep breastfeeding/diaper changing stations (I made two baskets, one for the living room and one for the bedroom, since we don't have a changing table and our apartment is small)
  • Tour the hospital 
  • Pre-register at the hospital (no way am I doing paperwork when I'm in labor)
  • Get a breastpump - through insurance, if you can (there are places that will loan, rent, or give you used pumps, but that super does not appeal to me)
  • Write your birth plan
  • Pack the hospital bag
  • Continue taking cute baby bump photos so you have documentation to look back on (even when you feel fat. Take advantage of this fatness; you feel like a whale, but everyone around you continues to gush how cute of a pregnant lady you are)
  • Make "postpartum padsicles" and place them in your freezer...without grimacing
  • Interview and choose a pediatrician
  • Do your Kegels every day!
  • Drink red raspberry leaf tea (I only drink 3-5 cups per week, but it's nice to have something healthy and not sugary to drink)
  • Prepare yourself for labor. There are a million mental and physical ways you can prep, depending on what type of birth you are wanting to have. Do your research, and know yourself. I have a tendency to allow fear to shut me down, so I chose to make a list of things that I think I will be most afraid of and how I want to handle them. 
  • Talk to your husband. This is a big one that I am still working on. In order to assess what both of you know, are prepared for, and are feeling, you need to share everything. Especially what you expect life to be like once the baby comes.
  • Make yourself some nursing tanks. (Easy tutorial here.) 
  • Allow your nesting instincts to take over. Getting in some last-minute organizing and cleaning isn't a bad thing! Just don't overdo it. I've had several days where I felt great and did a bunch of stuff...and then felt dead for the next two or three days. Don't overdo it. 
  • Take a birthing class and/or breastfeeding class. It helps to do a few hands-on things, meet other new parents, and have your husband join you in preparations.
  • Stay active. Short workouts, light walks, swimming, whatever type of exercise you enjoy. Fitness now will help your body snap back after the baby is born.
  • Pamper yourself. I know you've been trying to eat healthy and stay strong for your baby. Excellent! But have a few minutes of weakness. Sit down with an entire pint of ice cream. Beg your husband to go to the supermarket at midnight for that cheese you've been craving. Have a date night - with the girls, or with your husband. I haven't taken my own advice yet, although I did demand that my husband help me make cookies at 10pm one night...
  • Practice some soft skills. Use the baby wraps/carriers that people bought you, familiarize yourself with the stroller and carseat buckles, and swaddle some teddy bears. 
  • Buy the leftover items from your Amazon Baby Registry. If you register on Amazon, you can get a 10-15% discount on any items that people don't buy for you. I signed up for the Amazon Prime one month trial, ordered the last few items with the discount, and got free 2-day shipping. Then I just canceled my Prime subscription. Worked like a charm :)
  • Get a photoshoot done. This is something I probably won't get around to, sadly. But you must document the pregnancy in some way, even if it's just selfies. 

There are things that people just don't tell you about the third trimester. Probably because after the baby is born, you forget all of it. Things like your belly isn't perfectly cute and round all the time. As the baby moves and changes position, your belly morphs into some very alien-esque shapes. I'm constantly awed and appalled by this.

Also sometimes you don't want to eat.
You might start to snore, even if you never have before.
If you eat too much, you trade lung capacity for stomach room. Not even kidding. I ate a big meal and then felt out of breath for the next hour.
People assume that you're swamped - when the reality is that you're just sitting around waiting to have a baby.

What's on your list?

Resources:

You'll notice I list baby books as well as pregnancy books. Why? Because at some point during the pregnancy you are going to freak out about being a mother and all that it entails, and you're going to need some facts to cling to. Don't wait till the baby is in your arms to try to educate yourself on breastfeeding. 

1. Pinterest (obviously)
2. What To Expect When You're Expecting The default choice in pregnancy books,
3. The Birth Book Super informative on all birth and labor procedures, and why going natural makes the experience so different.
4. Baby Wise A friend gave me this book and after reading it I felt so empowered to breastfeed and take care of my baby (I was going to say "in control" but we all know that there's no controlling breastfeeding!)
5. Mothers. They have a wealth of information, and they are able to calm you down about anything you might be freaking out about. 

P.S. It will never stop being weird to me when random strangers congratulate me. Thank you, but...are we supposed to be friends now?
How the third trimester really feels - courtesy of Friends. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha these Friends pics made me laugh! Great tips and yes on the kegels they do help. Happy delivery day to you.
    xo, Nicole

    ReplyDelete